Don't get caught out by a contract. Find out how to sharpen up on contracts at this learning and development day for sub-contractors in London on 19 March.
This is a learning and development day for sub-contractors and contractors who want to raise their awareness of construction contracts and run them successfully.
It takes place in London on Thursday 19 March 9am–4.30pm, with refreshment breaks and lunch included.
Funding has been secured from CITB towards this Stone Federation GB course delivered by Natural Stone Industry Training Group Treasurer Robert Merry.
This is the first time the Stone Federation GB has delivered this course, although it is hoped it will become a regular.
- To provide a working knowledge of contracting from pre-contract through to post-contract completion.
- The course will be supported by qualified experts in quantity surveying, insurance and health & safety.
Key Learning Objectives:
- To raise awareness of contracting
- What to do before entering any contract
- Identify the risks – insurances, health & safety, design
- Roles and responsibilities when in-contract
- Getting paid
Facilitator: Robert Merry MCIOB
Contracts: A brief tour. What are contracts? Where do they come from? Most common types of contract, including local authority, D&B, traditional, NEC.
- What do you do the day the contract arrives on your email?
- Read, read and read some more
- Tendering/Estimating: binding quotations and unbinding quotations?
- Understanding the critical role of the tender in the construction process.
- Avoiding common problems with presentation.
- Ensuring all the necessary information is included.
- Preliminaries, PC sums: what do they mean and how to price them.
Contract Documentation: Making the decision to tender
- Critical informaton and where to find it in the contract.
- iPrice, location, type of contract, restrictions, cashflow, programme, risks, insurance, warranties... and profit!
- What are the right questions to ask when meeting the construction team?
- Leading Industry Insurance professional (Stephen Hegarty, BJP Insurance) will give a 30-minute presentation on Collateral Warranty, Professional Indemnity Insurance, Public and Employee Liability insurance, followed by a Q&A session.
- Information Management, Negotiation, Roles and Responsibilities: Programming using an IRS schedule.
- Handover and sign-offs protection.
Health & Safety:
- First aiders, mental health awareness, toolbox talks, tool registers and Pat testing, RAMs, SMSTS, PUER, PLASMA, complying with current legislation, PPE, COSHH, RIDDOR and training.
- Getting paid - valuations, variation accounts, presentation, retention.
- O&M manuals, Warranties - how long and what do they mean?
- More expert speakers will be announced in the coming weeks.
When: Thursday 19th March, 09:00 – 16:30
Where: London, venue to be confirmed
Cost: £120 + VAT
To book, please email: [email protected].
Please Note: All companies must provide their CITB registration number at the time of booking.